Look no further for a delicious & healthy option for Meatless Monday! Hearty, comforting Bolognese is packed into peppers and topped with cheese…what’s not to love! Choose your fave coloured pepper– green is usually less expensive, while red, yellow, and orange have more vitamin C, but all colours are great options. To streamline recipe prep, make the sauce the night before.
Serve with a bun and 1 tbsp butter or margarine.
1 can (28 oz/796 ml) crushed tomatoes
1⁄2 cup water or broth
1⁄2 cup plain non-dairy creamer or half and half cream (10%)
Sea Salt, to taste
Black Pepper, to taste
6 large bell peppers
1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella
Toppings (optional): chopped fresh basil or parsley
- In a large Multipurpose Pot, combine mix, tomatoes, water, and creamer.
- Cover; simmer on medium heat for 15 min, stirring occasionally. It will thicken near the end of the cook time; stir more frequently at that time to prevent sticking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler to high. Cut peppers in half lengthwise; scrape out and discard seeds.
- Arrange half the peppers in Multipurpose Steamer; it’s OK if they overlap. Cover; microwave on high until tender, 4 min 30 sec. Stir halfway through cooking. Repeat with remaining pepper halves.
- Place peppers on a Sheet Pan or in a large casserole dish. Fill with Bolognese mixture (about 1⁄3 cup per pepper half) and top with cheese. Broil until cheese melts and edges of peppers are crispy, about 5 min. Rotate pan to ensure even cooking. Sprinkle with additional toppings before serving, if desired.