Easter Bunny Cake
4 medium-sized carrots
2⁄3 cup oil
1 cup crushed pineapple
2 pkgs Carrot Cake Mix
2 bricks (8 oz/ 250 g each) light cream cheese, softened
1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coarsely grate carrots; measure out 4 cups and set aside.
- Lightly oil two 8” Round Cake Pans. Set on a Sheet Pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with oil and pineapple. Stir in both mixes and 4 cups grated carrot. Divide batter between pans; smooth top. Bake for 35–40 min or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool 10 min; unmold onto Cooling Racks.
- Let cakes cool completely while preparing icing. You can place them in the fridge to speed up the process. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese with butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Beat in icing sugar, 1⁄2 cup at a time, until smooth.
- To assemble, place one cake in the center of another Sheet Pan or rectangular serving platter. This will be the face.
- Place the other cake on your work surface; this will be the ears and bow tie. Using a knife, cut two matching ovals from each side of the cake to make the ears. The centre of the cake (what’s left after you’ve cut out the ears) will be the bow tie. You can use a mixing bowl to help with the curve of the ears.
- Arrange the ears above the face and the bow tie below. Using 3-in-1 Spatula, cover the entire cakes with icing.
- Slice one strawberry in half, lengthwise. Use half to make a nose. Slice remaining strawberries, lengthwise. Arrange in the centre of each ear (pointy end pointing up). Arrange two blueberries to make eyes.
- Using the remaining blueberries, decorate bow tie.
Per serving: Calories 300, Fat 17 g (Saturated 6 g, Trans 0.1 g), Cholesterol 60 mg, Sodium 380 mg, Carbohydrate 32 g (Fibre 2 g, Sugars 22 g), Protein 6 g.
It’s easiest to cut and ice the cakes when they are completely chilled. If you have time, prepare the cakes a day ahead and keep them in the fridge until you are ready to assemble!
For a ‘fluffy’ look (and hide any imperfections!) pat shredded coconut flakes evenly over the frosted bunny face and ears before decorating with fruit.
To make whiskers, slice another carrot into thin strips and place on both sides of the nose.